Coming to Brazil

Posted by
Photo by Caio on

What you need to know to visit Brazil 


To obtain a visa for entry into Brazil:
1- Countries that are listed in the Consular Portal  do not require visas for entry into Brazil. Tourists must fill out and print two copies of the Brazilian foreigner entry/exit card

1- Tourists who are residents of Australia, Canada, United States and Japan are visa exempt for entry into Brazil between June 1st and September 18th of 2016 for the period of the Rio 2016 Games. This exemption is valid only for tourism purposes for up to 90 days.

2- Tourists from other countries must request a visa at least seven working days prior to travelling to Brazil. Information regarding documents can be obtained from Brazilian embassies/consulates in each country. For addresses, visit.

Length of stay:

The period of stay for tourists in 90 days and can be extended one time only (for a further 90 days) at any of the departments of the Federal Police.

Types of temporary visas:

For study

The visa is valid for one year and can be extended during the course of study.

For work

The company which is responsible for the entry and stay of the foreigner in Brazil must request a work permit from the Ministry of Labor and Employment click here (content in Portuguese). The visa is granted for up to two years and can be extended for the same period of time.

IMPORTANT: Between May 5th and November 5th of 2016, the Federal Police will waive the visa requirement for the entry of visitors who, in addition to travel documents, also have accreditation with the Olympics and/or Paralympics. These credentials must be presented by all foreigners associated with the Rio 2016 Games, even those nationalities that have visa exemption agreements with Brazil.

Temporary residence visa

Temporary residence is valid for two years.


  • Rights and obligations of passengers in air travel:

The National Civil Aviation Agency (ANAC in Portuguese) is the Brazilian federal regulatory agency that establishes rules for air transport in Brazil. In the document “Tips for Passengers”, you have access to information regarding your rights and obligations as an air travel passenger in Brazil. The folder points out some of the questions you may have regarding air tickets, check-in, boarding documents, special assistance and access to gate areas, etc.

Click here to access the digital version of this document.

  • Recommended vaccines:

The Ministry of Health recommends that tourists have their vaccination card up-to-date in accordance with the orientations of the vaccination calendar in the country of origin or residence, at least ten days prior to travel.

IMPORTANT: Brazil does not require the presentation of vaccination certificates for entry into the country, (unless there has been a temporary request), with the exception of travelers arriving from or with the destination of Angola and the Democratic Republic of Congo. This decision follows a recommendation by the Emergency Committee of the World Health Organization (WHO), due to the current outbreak of Urban Yellow Fever in these two African countries.

Before arriving in Brazil, it is recommended that tourists update their vaccination card for the following diseases:

• Influenza (Flu)
• Measles
• Rubella
• Hepatitis A
• Hepatitis B
• Yellow fever

For those wishing to live in Brazil

  • Permanent visas

May be granted in three situations:

– Family re-unification;
– Transfer of residence to Brazil following retirement;
– Foreign investor.
Learn more (content in Portuguese)

Other situations in which permanent residency can also be granted are to those who are:

• refugees or asylum seekers;
• spouses or children of Brazilians;
• legal dependents of a Brazilian, or a foreign permanent resident, or a temporary resident, older than 18 years of age;
• spouse or partner of a Brazilian, or a foreign permanent resident, or a temporary resident, in a stable union, independent of gender;
• holders of a temporary visa with the status of professor, technician, or high level researcher, or foreign scientist;
• victims of human trafficking; and
• foreigners who have lost their status of permanency due to being absent from the country for more than two years.

Click here for more legal details for each case (content in Portuguese)

  • Foreigner Identity Card (CIE)

This document can be provided to temporary and permanent foreign residents, asylum seekers and refugees, who are duly registered with the Federal Police.

How to issue the CIE: 

1. To fill out the registration request form for the emission of the foreigner identity card (1st and 2nd copies), renewal, and the Mercosul Residency Agreement, click here.
2. Click here to generate the GRU (Guia de Recolhimento da União,- Federal Payment Form; a document similar to a common bank payment form and its payment can be made in any bank, ATM, lottery retailers, and post office, following the criteria established by these correspondent banks).
3. Visit an office of the Federal Police with the required documents, GRU paid, form filled out and the appointment request protocol.
4. Check here for available appointment times.
5. Fill in the request code printed in the header of your form.
6. To reprint the form, click here.
7. Reschedule your appointment or cancel your appointment.

  • Driving in Brazil

Tourists with driver’s licenses in their countries of residence may drive in Brazil if their stay is less than 180 days. For longer periods, it is necessary to obtain a Brazilian driver’s license.

Click here to access the regional offices of the National Transit Department (content in Portuguese).


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s